True Goodness


 

'Yen Yuan' inquired as to the meaning of true goodness. The Master said: " The subdued of self, and reversion to the natural laws governing conduct-this is true goodness. If a man can for the space of one day subdue his selfishness and revert to natural laws, the whole world will call him good. True goodness springs from a man's own heart. How can it depend on other men?"

'Yen Yuan' said: "Kindly tell me the practical rule to be deduced from this." -The Master replied: "Do not use your eyes, your ears, your power of speech on your faculty of movement without obeying the inner law of self control."-'Yen Yuan' said: "Though I am not quick in thought or act , I will make it my business to carry out this precept."



[Source: The Wisdom Of the Chinese, Brian Brown, New York, Brentano's Publishers.]

Comments

Popular Post

This is not my task