A Story of Second Marriage and Divorce of 'Khoja Nasrudin'


Though 'Khoja Nasrudin' seemed content with his married life, for the Mohammedan never speaks of his home life, but to the surprise of the neighbours the widow suddenly sued one day for a divorce, and both she and the 'Khoja' appeared in court, the wife to plead her case and the husband to defend himself as best he could.

The widow complained loudly that the 'Khoja' had ill-treated her to such a degree that she could no longer stay with him. He had destroyed and broken all her furniture and belongings, and at the same time inflicted on her, and that without any cause, severe bodily injuries. "Yes, verily," quoted the good woman, "having first smashed all the crockery in the house with a flat-iron, he suddenly hit me over the head with a frying-pan. There's still a lump on my head as big as a duck's egg, but without the permission of the Court I cannot, of course, raise my veil in order to exhibit it."

The irate lady concluded by declaring in a shrill voice that her statement would not be difficult to prove. Their house was close at hand, and everything in it was her personal property; and it would be easy to verify her assertion that the 'khoja' had smashed the tables, chairs, crockery, cocking utensils and everything else which the place contained.  She claimed both her immediate freedom and full compensation for the things destroyed by the khoja. Having shaken her clenched fist in the direction of her husband she left the witness-box.

When asked what defence 'khoja' had to offer, the holy man was eloquent but simple. "it is true," quoted he, "that all furniture belonged to my wife, and that I have destroyed it all. It is also true that I unwittingly did her bodily harm. This I regret, but the circumstances of the case are as follows:

"The first night of our life she told me the life of Mehmet, her late husband, and how long she and he had lived happily together. The second night she told me how much it had cost her late husband to buy the furniture with which she had furnished my house. The third night she dwelt so long and so fondly on the perfections of her 'Mehmet' that, when day dawned, I was beginning to see the shadow of that perfect and lamented man flitting about the bedroom. On the fourth night when she began to compare 'Mehmet' to me, and to show that he was superior to me in every way-well, O 'Kadi'! the shadow materialised. In despair and in self-protection against this superior intruder, I used as missile or as weapons every thing that came within my reach. In order to drive him away, I hurled at him tables and chairs, pots and pans. In my strange agitation, O kadi! I broke furniture; and alas! when he got too near my wife, I must have struck her also in my efforts-my perfectly legitimate efforts, mind you-to strike him and to defend myself.

"It is possible-nay it is right, under lawful condition-for a man to have one, two, three, or even four wives; but has anyone ever heard of one woman having two husbands, and both husbands living under the same roof! Let her go, then, to her 'Mehmet'- I cannot take her back!" Then, raising his voice so suddenly and so high that the 'kadi' nearly fell off the bench, the 'khoja' vociferated: "Git! Git! Git!" Get thee hence; though shall be one of the contemptible! Get thee hence, despised! And may I never see thy face again!"

The divorce was granted, but the widow received no compensation.

Comments

Popular Post

This is not my task