“Clam, Crane, and the Fisherman: A Tale of Stubbornness and Strategy”



'Chao' was going to invade 'Yen.' 'Sui Tai' went to King 'Huei' of 'Chao' on 'Yen's'' behalf. "This morning," said 'Su Tai,' "when I was coming on my way, I was passing the 'Yi' River. There I saw a clam sunning itself in the sun, and a crane came along to peck at its flesh, and the clam shut its shell on the crane's beak tightly.

The crane said: "If it doesn't rain to-day and doesn't rain to-morrow there will be a dead clam." And the clam also said: "If you can't get out to-day and cant get out to-morrow, there will be a dead crane."

Neither of the two was willing to let go, when a fisherman came up and caught both. Now if you go and attack 'Yen', the two countries will be locked in battle for a long time until the people of both countries are exhausted. I am afraid the strong 'Ch'in' will be the fisherman. You might think this over carefully. "Good," said the King, and he gave up the idea.

Comments

Popular Post

This is not my task