Always Look well to your feet, my children! Whatever you do, don't get sore feet!


Some boys, anxious to play a practical joke on the Khoja, asked him to climb a tree, their purpose was to run away with his sandals. They informed the Khoja that no one had ever been able to climb that particular tree, and the Khoja, always a sportsman, despite his years and the restrictions imposed on him by his sacred profession, at once said that he could do it; whereupon the boys, of course, told him stoutly that he could not, and persuaded him to try.

The Khoja immediately accepted the challenge, and gathered up the skirts of his robe which he tied round his waist to give his limbs freedom. Then taking off his sandals he placed them in his bosom and began to climb the tree. Naturally the boys were disappointed and hurt on seeing the sandals go up the tree as well as the Khoja, and it was not without asperity that they asked the holy man what he was going to do with his sandals in the tree. 

"O, " said the Khoja, some what taken a back "I - I need them. I may find a road map here and I don't want to get footsore. Always look well to your feet, my children! whatever you do, don't get sore feet!"

Comments

Popular Post

This is not my task