I thought you were awake


It is related of Kareemkhan, a Shah of Persia, that one day, after being harassed by a long attendance in public, hearing causes, he was about to retire, when he was arrested by the cries of a stranger, who, rushing forward, called aloud for redress.

"Who are you?" said the Shah. "I am a merchant, and have been robbed of all I possessed while I slept." And why did you sleep? demanded the monarch in an impatient tone. "Because I made a mistake," replied the trader immediately; " I thought that you were awake." The irritation of the monarch vanished in a moment. Turning to the Vazier, he bade him pay the man's losses from the royal treasury. "It is our business," he added, " to recover, if we can, the property from the robbers."


Comments

Popular Post

This is not my task