I Thought You Were Awake


It is related of Kareemkhan, a Shah Of Persia, that one day, after being harassed by a long attendance in public, hearing causes, he was about to retire, when he was arrested by the cries of a stranger, who, rushing forward, called aloud for redress.

"Who are you?" said the Shah. "I am a merchant, and have been robed of all I possessed while I slept." And why did you sleep? demanded the monarch in an impatient tone. "Because I made a mistake," replied the trader immediately; "I thought you were awake." The irritation of the monarch vanished in a moment. Turning to the vazier, he bade him pay the man's losses from the royal treasury. "It is our business," he added, "to recover, if we can recover the property from the robbers."

Comments

Popular Post

This is not my task