Fools burn lamps during the day


When we were heading for southern Arabia, a barefooted and bareheaded dervish joined our caravan at Kufa (in the north). 

I saw that he was penniless, but he strode along purposefully, reciting as he walke

Neither do I burden

Nor do I carry a camel's burden;

Neither do I rule, nor am I ruled. 

Neither have I anxieties about the

 Pat, the Present or the Future.

 Fully I breathe, fully I live life.

A certain merchant, mounted on a camel, advised him to turn back. Otherwise, he said, the dervish would certainly die of hardship and lack of nourishment.

Ignoring this advice, the dervish marched on.

When we reached Bani Hamud oasis the merchant died. The dervish, standing by the bier, exclaimed:

I did not die of my hardships;

But you, on your camel, have died.

Fools burn lamps during the day. At night they wonder why they have not light. 

Comments

Popular Post

This is not my task